Football success for Upper KS2

19th October 2016

Huntingdon vs. Hemingford Grey Primary School (HGPS)

Monday 17th October, 2016 – 3:45 KO

The scene was set. Two competitive schools eager to kick off the new season. Each exuding an air of authority during the warm up. What was about to follow, was 50 minutes of nail-biting football.

The hosts, Huntingdon, started well. Piling on the pressure from the get go. Some superb defending from Logan and Mil kept Huntingdon at bay with a number last ditch tackles and vital clearances. Theo, our glorious goalkeeper, made a number of instinctive saves to keep morale strong among the team. Chances were limited in the first half, so Max took it upon himself to take on a 25 yard screamer which clattered into the crossbar – this certainly silenced the home fans. With most of the chances and possession with Huntingdon during the first half, the HGPS boys came off with their heads held high at 0-0.

Second half. Tactics remained the same. The players all felt that they would eventually sneak a goal or two. 10 minutes into the second half, a devastating crossed was whipped in from the right. Frankie only had one thought, to beat his defender and slot it past the keeper. 1-0! Not 10 minutes later, Ollie played the most wonderful through ball which allowed Theo tear down the left wing, beating players left, right and centre. He couldn’t be stopped. The ball was played neatly along the floor to which the goalkeeper seemed to have smothered. Some quick thinking and awareness from Callum saw the ball had popped out the keepers hands. Callum reacted quickest to squeeze it through into the bottom left corner. 2-0! The game seemed destined to end 2-0. James was moved into centre midfield to help strengthen HGPS defensive efforts. Almost immediately, he cleverly drew a foul to relieve the pressure. HGPS were awarded a free kick on the halfway line. Up stepped Rory. Only one thing was running through his head “hit the target!” He did just that, requiring a finger-tipping save from the Huntingdon keeper resulting in a HGPS corner. The ball was crossed into the middle of the box where the ball resembled a pin-ball. After this brief encounter, the ball was craftily moved out the right side of the box. Max found himself in acres of space where he hit a thunderbolt past the keeper, into the bottom right hand corner. 3-0.

The game was played in tremendous spirit from both teams. Huntingdon were fantastic hosts and we look forward to a rematch in the near future.