SEND (Special Educational needs and Disabilities) Information Page

SEND and Inclusion at Hemingford Grey Primary

At Hemingford Grey Primary we are dedicated to being an inclusive school; to make all our children feel welcome and happy. Every child is different and we celebrate this. We are highly committed to creating a stimulating learning experience that is inclusive of all children. We want every child to reach their full potential and emerge from school with a life-long love of learning.

We provide support to ensure that ALL children make good progress at their level. In order to do this we provide quality first teaching and make reasonable adaptations for particular needs whilst working with an inclusive environment and ethos. Where a child has a Special educational need we also provide early identification and response to the need, involve the child and family in the planning, doing and reviewing of the support the child needs, short term intervention programmes and medium or long term intervention to address specific needs. 

Special Educational Needs & Disability (SEND)

Children, at some time in their school career, may have special educational needs of some kind. The difficulties a child may experience can vary and may occur in a number of areas. Some children will need help and support all of the time that they are at school, while other children may only need help for a short time.

The broad areas of SEND are:

• Communication and Interaction

• Cognition and Learning

• Social, Emotional and Mental Health 

• Sensory and Physical Needs

Children will receive different levels of support depending on their individual needs

Step 1

All children are provided with the opportunity to make good progress by making reasonable adaptations to the curriculum, taking into account different needs and abilities. This is called ‘differentiation’, and it is normal within a classroom to have different levels of work going on at the same time. At the heart of this is ‘Quality First Teaching’ and each child, from Year 1 upwards,  will have individual targets that they are working towards, which are clearly stated in their Learning Journals. 

Step 2

From time to time a child may fall behind or stop progressing, for a variety of reasons. If this happens, we will offer ‘targeted support’ which is often in the form of a group catch-up programme or intervention led by an adult for a specific length of time. It could also be in the form of specific resources that a child is given to use. The results of these interventions are carefully monitored to ensure that progress is being made. This is all part of normal classroom practice, and everything is recorded on our ‘Provision Map’ which helps us to keep track of who is doing what and when they did it. If the intervention works, then the child will close the gap and return to making progress. If, despite interventions and targeted support, there is still a significant gap, then we move to the next level of support. 

Step 3 - Special Support and Special Educational Needs

This is what we call the support given to a child who needs highly personalised support or a heavily adapted curriculum. This could be because of profound and sustained learning difficulties, behaviour or emotional issues or a disability. The child will have a pupil passport with very specific short-term targets that are set and reviewed regularly with the child, if possible, and certainly with the parents. We value the views of parents and children when writing the plans and will talk to you about how you can help support your child at home. We also record the fact that the child has additional needs on our ‘Special Needs Register’.

Within this step there are 3 levels of support

School Based Support

This is where all of the support, advice, tracking, resources, etc. are provided by the school. The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENDCo) will be actively involved in supporting the class teacher and providing advice.

School Based Support Plus

The school will ask for outside agencies to help structure a programme of support for the child which will then be delivered by the school. This could include Educational Psychologists, Specialist Support Teachers, Speech and Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Children and adolescent mental health (CAMH) etc. Outside agencies may also work with the child occasionally. Parents will be fully involved in any decisions to consult and involve the additional professionals listed above. 

Education and Healthcare Plan (EHCP)

A very, very small number of children have needs that require significant and sustained advice and support from outside agencies, as well as needing a very high level of adult support. In these cases, the school will ask for a Statutory Assessment and if the county panel agree that the needs meet their threshold, they will issue an Education and Healthcare Plan.

What do I do if I think My Child may have Special Educational needs?

Every teacher has the responsibility for all children within their class, including those with SEND. If you have any concerns regarding your child’s progress or well-being, whether they have a SEND or not, please speak to your child’s class teacher initially. After discussion with the class teacher you and/or the class teacher can discuss your concerns with the SENDCO – Mrs Michelle Parker. Your concerns will always be taken seriously and your views are important to us.

What support do we have at Hemingford for you as a parent of a child with SEND?

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so similar strategies can be used. The SENDCO is also available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have about them. Any Information or advice from external professionals concerning your child will be discussed with you in person and you will be offered copies of any reports written by them. Your child’s Pupil Passport will be shared and reviewed with you each term.   Homework may be adjusted as required to suit your child’s individual needs. A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child and the class teacher. Please also see a list of further contacts that might be useful to parents at the very end of this document.

The Local Offer

What is the Local Offer?

The LA Local Offer:

The Children and Families Act 2014 states that Local Authorities and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with SEND aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’.

The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It is also an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

All information about the Cambridgeshire Local Offer can be found at:

What specific expertise is available to children with SEND?

School staff have been trained to provide a variety of specialist support. Where a training need is identified and the expertise not present, the school is committed to ensuring that training gap is promptly addressed. We currently have teachers and teaching assistants who have had training in the following areas: Speech therapy, Dyslexia, Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Sensory Circuits & Sports Skills, Supporting ‘Angry Children’, Enhanced rehearsal Technique (ERT) and Supporting and developing Social Skills.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

The Emotional Health and Wellbeing of our pupils is very important to us at Hemingford Grey. Support we can provide in school may include:

Lunchtime and playtime support through planned activities and groups Sensory Circuits groups Social skills and friendship support groups Working with our school Inclusion TA on a 1:1 or small group basis. Giving pupils a ‘voice’ – representing pupils’ views through the School house captains and vice captains. Personalised behaviour programmes including rewards and sanctions There are nominated first aiders at school including those with paediatric first aid qualifications. If your child has significant medical needs we will arrange a meeting to discuss your child’s needs and how we can support them in school. We may need to draw up a Health Care Plan.

How do you support my child when they move classes or schools?

Admission to the school

The school’s admission arrangements are made in accordance with the School Admissions Code, which ensures that school places are allocated in an open and fair way. Therefore any child with disability or SEN will not be discriminated against in any way. 

Moving through the school

Staff in the school work very closely together. In the summer term before your child changes class all children will visit their new year group and meet their new teacher, your child’s current class teacher will discuss your child’s needs with the new teacher and if needed a meeting with both teachers, the parents and the SENDCo parents can be arranged. Some child who need additional support with transition will have more opportunities to become familiar with the new classroom environment and class teacher and individual transition arrangements can be made to help support children with specific needs.

Moving to secondary school

We work very closely with the local Secondary school to ensure that the transition for your child is as smooth as possible. Alongside all the usual transition meetings and visits if needed the following support will also take place. Extra visits in the summer term to meet some of their new teachers, children with additional needs may be part of a transition group to help support their transition – this will be planned between the staff at both schools, teachers meet with staff at secondary school to talk through children with additional needs.

A Message from the SENDCO 

My job as SENDCo (Special Needs and Disabilty Co-ordinator) and Inclusion manager at Hemingford Grey Primary School is to work with you, your child, your child’s class teacher and sometimes specialists to help ensure that your child, regardless of their specific needs, makes the best possible progress in school. Sometimes, some children need something a little bit extra on top of the high quality teaching every child receives, or maybe they need to approach learning in a different way.

I hope that you have found all the information on this page useful however If you are worried about your child, for any reason please contact me. I am in school every Thursday and Friday but can be contacted by email from Monday-Friday.

Michelle Parker 


Other Organisations that can offer support to parents of a child with SEND

Parent Partnership Service

The parent Partnership Service providing Cambridgeshire’s SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) offers impartial and confidential information, advice and support to parents and carers who have a child or young person with special educational needs (SEN) or a disability or have concerns that their child may have special educational needs.

Tel: 01223 699214 Email:



An independent information, support and involvement network in Cambridgeshire run by parents for parents, giving you the chance to meet with parents and share experiences and knowledge.

Tel: 01480 499043




The Statutory Assessment Resources team (START)

For questions and information relating to your child’s Education and Health Care Plan or Statement.

Tel: 01480 372600

Email :

St Ives Children’s Centre

Children’s Centres offer the chance for families with children aged 0 to 5 to have fun, play, learn and grow together. Mums, dads, carers and parents-to-be can access the information, support and services they need.

Address: Wheatfields Primary, Wheatfields, St Ives, PE27 3WF

Tel: 07776 494100


St Ives Locality Team

This team offers support and advice to parents/carers on issues such as children’s challenging behaviour, establishing routines, raising self-esteem, increasing confidence and improving family relationships. Support and advice may be offered through individual support and/or a range of parenting courses. Individual support can be delivered in the home or at other locations agreed with the worker, including schools, Children’s Centres and early year’s settings.


Locality manager: Gary Fenwick

Family Worker: Claudette Boyle

Address: Broad Leas Centre, Broad Leas, St Ives, PE27 5QB

Tel: 01480 398 257

What are the arrangements for parents of children with SEND who may wish to complain about the provision?

If you are not happy with the SEND provision at the school, please contact the class teacher, SENCo or the Headteacher to share your concerns. If the issue can’t be resolved at this level or the complaint is regarding the Head Teacher the parent will be directed to the schools complaints procedure. Cambridgeshire School's Complaints Policy  

Please also see links to a variety of school policies concerned with SEND.